This course is designed to support you to build your knowledge of pneumococcal disease and the associated available vaccinations. As you embark on any vaccination service in community pharmacy it is very important that you are up to date with the clinical area.
Learning objectives for this module include the following:
- Understand where to seek up to date information on pneumococcal disease and vaccination including how guidance currently varies across the UK.
- Learn about the cause, characteristics and epidemiology of pneumococcal disease.
- Learn about pneumococcal pneumonia.
- Find out about the epidemiology of pneumonia and how pneumonia fits in the overall picture of pneumococcal disease.
- Understand how to assess who is suitable for the pneumococcal vaccination.
- Understand how to address vaccine hesitancy and also learn about when it can be helpful to suggest the pneumococcal vaccination to your patients.
- Find out and become familiar with the pneumococcal vaccines available.
- Learn about how to store, prepare and administer the vaccines available.
- Describe the information you should give to patients after the vaccination.
- Pre-empt some of the questions that patients may ask.
The course is free of charge. We ask you to register before embarking on the course. You can record your learning and have it emailed to you via our revalidation CPD form and successful completion of the quiz at the end of the course will mean you receive a certificate of successful completion.
- Immunisation procedures, The Green Book chapter 4 available here Green-Book-Chapter-4.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk) [accessed 25.6.2021]