Health officials are urging people not to turn up to A&E seeking treatment for simple summer conditions such as hayfever and stings.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (GGC) says last summer saw a 58% rise in the number of patients attending A&E for insect bites and stings.
However Dr Linda de Caestecker, director of public health at NHSGGC, said simple conditions could be treated at home or by a pharmacist instead.
She said: “Many patients attending A&E in the summer months have simple stings and bites.
“Clearly, unless these cause a severe reaction such as anaphylaxis, they can be treated at home, by a pharmacist or at one of our Minor Injuries Units.
“By following very simple guidelines, most stings can be treated at home.”
Last summer, an average of 1239 patients a day attended one of NHS GGC’s A&E or Minor Injuries Units, a rise of 4% compared to the previous year.
Dr de Caestecker added: “Hospitals are very busy places all year round, not just in winter, and A&E staff deal with life-threatening emergencies, like strokes and heart attacks.
“People suffering from summer symptoms like dehydration, stings and hayfever should treat themselves at home or visit their local pharmacy.”